Sunday, October 5, 2008


We left Joris overnight for the first time this weekend. Jacob and I celebrated our 10 year date-averary; it's hard to believe it has been ten years since that first, somewhat awkward date.

Jacob's folks came up to take care of Joris for the 22.5 hours we were gone. Fortunately, they had been in town for a couple of days already before we left, so Joris had already remembered how much fun they are to hang out with. We left on Saturday after Joris had gotten up from his nap and returned today just before nap time.

We had reservations at a bed and breakfast on Bainbridge Island, which is just a half hour ferry ride from Seattle. Our B&B was out in the middle of a forested area and the drive up the 1/2 mile long, narrow, unpaved, windy road was quite entertaining. For one, leaves, twigs and small branches were falling everywhere because of some heavy winds that had just arrived, making it a rather adventurous drive. Secondly, we passed signs, buildings and people that made it very obvious that the foresty community was mostly comprised of (wealthy) hippies. "Sacred Grove" was the most intriguing of the buildings and I imagined it to be the destination of the long gray-haired lady in flowy robes that we had passed.

We turned out to be the only guests for the night and the B&B looked very comfortable. We chatted with the owner for a bit and were outfitted with a map of the island and we spent the rest of the afternoon wine tasting, getting blown away on a beach and enjoying some warm beverages in Winslow town. We had an early dinner at the waterfront pub and were looking forward to going back to the B&B to watch a movie before sleeping for at least 12 hours straight.

Unfortunately, upon our return we discovered that a branch or tree had taken out a power line and the place was without electricity with no idea if or when it would return. Rather than kind of reliving our time in the Marshall Islands, we decided to find a place where we'd be able to shower and hang out for a while. One phone call home and, thanks to my father in law and the power of priceline, we got a very nice room at a downtown Seattle hotel.

Joris had a good time with grandpa and grandma, although he did ask for us a few times (Mama, Daddy, car). I think I might have missed him more than he did me. Grandma needed a nap when we got back, so I'm afraid our little guy kept her rather busy.

It was nice to get away for a little bit and the solid 11 hours of sleep are sure to be fondly remembered in the weeks and months to come.

I'm glad that we have successfully completed our first night separation. We now know that we can all survive a night away and enjoy the change of pace.

No comments: