Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Voice

A good friend just sent me a get out the vote video that features celebrities urging everyone to vote. One of the people (I don't actually know who he is) says:

"I'm voting because I want a voice."

In Dutch, the word stem means both 'vote' and 'voice' and stemmen means 'to vote' and 'voices'.

I had never thought about that before, but I really like it. Voting is equivalent to your voice. Vote and your voice will be heard.

I am so excited to be voting in this election. Not only because after living here for thirteen years it is the first time that I will be able to make my voice heard in the presidential election, but also because I am genuinely excited about Barack Obama and the positive changes he will bring to the office of the president, the country and the world's view of the U.S.

So, please, if you haven't already, send in your ballot or go to an early voting poll or plan your visit for Tuesday.

Jacob, Joris and I will be canvassing our neighborhood with the Obama campaign on Tuesday, reminding our neighbors to vote and helping them to the polls, if needed. I'm hoping to have a celebratory drink while watching the results come in that evening (if you want to join us, let me know)!

The polls are looking good for our candidate right now, but unless we actually send in our ballots and go to the polling stations and remind our friends and family to do the same, those polls will not mean anything.

So, go. STEM!

1 comment:

eric maloney said...

(this is Jessica posting under Eric's email)

Yay! Eric is in Chicago (actually Indiana today) doing some work for the election. I fly out on Tuesday. I can't wait. I wish I could have learned the "obama" sign from Joris!