Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Obama!

Every time I hear or read the words "president-elect Barack Obama" I smile.

I missed the networks call the election last night because I was taking Joris to bed, but it had been clear before that anyway. Obama was up with 202 electoral college votes and knowing that California, Oregon and Washington would surely deliver over 70 more, it really didn't matter if we got Florida, too.

Besides the joy, pride, and hope I felt when I walked into the living room in the middle of McCain's concession speech, I was also a bit taken aback at the speed with which it seemed to be settled. With the uncertainty during the previous two elections, I had sort of come to expect a long, drawn out process.

I feel happy that Obama got elected for many reasons, the most important of which is knowing that Joris will grow up during the Obama presidency. And, of course, that he isn't stuck with a useless sign language sign.

No comments: