Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Summer days

It has been too long. Life has been good, but very busy and summer seems to be sizzling along at an alarming rate.

The big news is that I got hired to stage manage "The Producers" (the Mel Brooks musical) at Seattle Musical Theatre. I have been wanting to get back to work in my field for what feels like forever now and it is very gratifying to be doing so. Rehearsals are in the evenings and on weekends so it's not affecting my daytime jobs too much, which is good. And Jacob has been very supportive with me taking this step, happily taking over care for Joris. Even though it seems slightly insane to be doing this while also dealing with my other three jobs (not counting motherhood), we all know that it will only be temporary. The show opens mid September and only runs for three weekends, so it really only affects a couple of months.

Jacob is plugging along on his dissertation and might actually have his prospectus officially approved.

The weather this summer has been just absolutely gorgeous we've been enjoying the variety of parks and beaches Seattle has to offer, bike rides, flying the kite and farmers market bliss. Joris can be entertained for hours when there is sand, water and rocks involved, so we've been frequenting Matthews Beach and Carkeek Park quite a bit.

We've also been spending a lot of time in the backyard, playing and eating, watering the plants and reading stories in the hammock, and I'm still amazed each time of how nice it now is to hang out there. My parents came over last weekend and my dad built Joris a little playhouse for in the backyard. It is the most adorable thing you have ever seen and pictures will follow soon (I hope!). It has windows with shutters, a Dutch door with his name on it and inside are astroturf carpet, curtains and pictures on the walls. Joris absolutely loves it.

Joris' language use has really accelerated again in the last few weeks. He has figured out his genders and pronouns, mostly, and will proudly say things like "That girl has bike. She has bike. That her bike". He has also started referring to himself as "I" and "me" and recently uttered "I love you" for the first time.

He can string together several thoughts and sentences now, too. This morning for example he told me "Mama, you make oatmeal for you and Coco and you make oatmeal squares for Joris. And I will give Coco a bite and he will say "mmmm, that yummy"!" and last night he told Jacob "Daddy, take my sandal of. There's something in there."

Interestingly, with all the new language developments, he has started defaulting to English even more, even with me. He still does talk to me in Dutch and he will usually repeat the Dutch version, when I confirm his English, but it looks like English is the easier (or more accessible) language to try out these new grammar rules. I'm assuming he'll get back to his regular bilingual state when he's had the chance to sufficiently practice.

The things Joris remembers and the conclusions he is drawing astound me every day. And today he walked up the stairs without holding on to anything, without ever having to catch himself. I am glad for the time I have with him, because really, it's already going by too damn fast!

We are eagerly anticipating a visit from Jacob's sister Micol and her family next week. They will be in town here for a few days and then we will join them in Portland for the weekend. I'm excited to have the cousins get to know each other and it will be nice to catch up with Micol and Richard.

My script writing job seems to be going well, although I still often have to guess at what it is they want exactly. There isn't a lot of feedback one way or another, so I'm having a bit of a tough time figuring out what I'm doing right and what I could improve on.

I've been able to go on a couple of dates; one with a friend to see another friend's band perform and the other night with Jacob to celebrate our 8th (!!) anniversary.

Like I said, life is good and I'm trying to enjoy it as much as possible.

1 comment:

Sarah B said...

Congrats on your stage managing job. And with your script writing...you're totally back in the field. Seems like you have a lot going on but I think I read somewhere it's harder to be unhappy when you're busy...no idle time for realizing you're depressed. Wow, about Joris' language development. He's a smart kid. I'm sorry that the Joris-watching didn't work out last weekend, let's try again. We should all do dinner soon. I want to see your new backyard...

Don't you just wish we could spread some of the summer activity around? We'll be starved for stimulation again in a few months.