Sunday, August 9, 2009

Family fun

The biggest event of our summer was having Jacob's sister, Micol and her family come visit the family on the West Coast. They live in Virginia so we get to see them sporadically at best. The last time we'd seen them was in 2007, when Joris was three months old and we had extended our layover in Washington to be able to hang out in Richmond for a few days.

Obviously, Joris did not remember his cousins Adriana (8) and Sage (5), but did know them from pictures and he seemed excited about having them come over.

Micol and the girls came right in the week of the hottest temperatures ever recorded in Seattle, so a lot of our activities were mere attempts to stay cool.

We took them to Matthews Beach the first day they were and town and had a little barbecue in the backyard. On Wednesday we all took the ferry from Edmonds to Kingston. It was the day where the temperatures hit 103 degrees and being able to be on the water, enjoying the breeze - yes, even getting just a tad bit chilly - was wonderful.

We indulged in crepes for lunch at 11:00am before heading back on the ferry.

Really, water was the only way to make it through the heat so there was a lot of kiddie pool action.

Joris, like most people in Seattle in this unusual weather, was having a really hard time getting and staying asleep and we were all stoked to make it down to Portland on Thursday where we'd stay at my folks' air-conditioned house.

We stayed through the weekend and ended up being able to do a lot of fun things. We enjoyed a nice family dinner with my parents, brother and soon to be sister in law on Thursday night. Friday, I had lunch at AngelVision (the company I do the script writing for) and was able to finally meet everyone, which was nice. When I got back to Sellwood, where Jacob and Joris were hanging out with the grandparents and Micol and the girls, I was just in time to join them for an outing to the outdoor pool.

The pool has a shallow end and lots of sprayers, bubblers and, because it was so hot, it was packed with people. Joris was hesitant of the water for about 2 minutes and then he donned a wide grin and proceeded to pretty much lose all language capacity - reverting to pre-verbal "huuuhhhh-huhhhhhh!!!" noises for the entire time we were there. I seriously have not seen him that excited about anything since the discovery that cheese tastes really great.

On Saturday, we went to the Gresham farmers market and had lunch with Dirk and Melanie before joining the Hutchison side of the family for a get together at Jacob's brother Trinh's house. I think everyone was excited to get the five cousins together for the first time and it was so fun to see how they all interacted. The cousins (all girls) are a fair bit older than Joris (10, 8, 6 and 5) but they immediately made sure he was included in the kid club and Joris loved following them around and having a picnic together. Seriously, it is just impossible to describe how cute they all were.

Ever since Adriana read one of his favorite stories to Joris, (which made him look up to her with such awe and giddy excitement) he would ask "where's Adriana?" each time he'd lose track of her. It was sad to have to say goodbye when it was time for us to go, because we all had really enjoyed seeing each other.

On Sunday, Joris enjoyed washing the car before we took off to meet up with my mom's family at a state park in Battleground, WA. There a great river to play and splash in and, as always when there is water and rocks involved, Joris had a great time. We couldn't stay too long because we still had to make our way back to Seattle, which ended up taking forever - without a nap ever happening for Joris.

Curious George on the ipod saved the day when stuck in traffic!

No comments: